Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: English Fan in New York...
javapalava
Super Moderator

Mood: Excited!

cool.gif posted on 13-2-2011 at 14:30
English Fan in New York...

..so about this time last Sunday 6/02/2011, New York local time, me and Rottenspice were crawling in from seeing Pendulum at the Irving Plaza Theatre and the Afterparty at District 36..but let me start at the beginning.

It was, I think, the 15th December last year, when the seed of madness was planted in my mind. After seeing the dates for the US tour I thought how cool would it be to go over and see the band at Irving Plaza, New York 5/2/2011. My passport was out of date, I had no ticket, how much would the flight over be, how pissed off would my other half be? Was this really a sensible thing to even contemplate?

So the more I thought about it the more it started being a viable thing to do. It wasn't going to be cheap for sure but I live by the "One Life ,Live It" school. My lovely friend, Rottenspice, who right from my first mumbles of maybe coming over, came up with many solutions. She and her husband would put me up in their home, take me sightseeing and her husband also gave up his ticket for the Madsion Square Garden show on the Friday night meaning I would see the boys twice! :starhit:
So then I broke the news to the other half..not good. he wanted to come but couldn't get the time of work. He did come round but things were tense for a while. Still things to organise: Passport took 3 working days to get back amazing :thumbup: Flight booked with BA (gulp not bad but still money)

So fast forward to Thursday 3/2/2011 I'm dropped off at Heathrow for flight leaving at 17:15 arriving 20:15 NY local time, an 8 hour flight (East Coast is -5hrs GMT)

Flight was virtually empty, good flight over, tried to kip, too excited!! Watched Social Network on in flight movies, booring. Arrived a little late at Newark Airport as strong head wind and was greeted by Mr & Mrs Rottenspice (Cara & Aaron) So into the car and off to Somerset, NJ, where they live. Didn't realise how far it was, about an hours drive on a motorway. Seemed like rush hour it was so busy. Managed to get a decent sleep once at the house, (wow nice place!!)

Next morning after breakfast we went to nearest train station, New Brunswick, and got tickets to get to NYC. Got to see lots of snow and icy swampy places on the way in. Came in to Penn station which is under Madsion Square Gardens, Wow New York is everything you imagine it would be, its very loud/busy and it was very cold!!

This place is huge..seriously, First thing we did was go to one of Caras favourite eaterys, called Hale & Hearty. It does soup and sandwiches/salads, really good!!! After we walked up 6th Avenue (Avenue of the Americas?) so I could take pictures of Empire State Building, Rockerfeller building etc, we walked down to Central Park and then back down through Times Square. We went back to MSG just to soak up abit of atmosphere and see if we could spot "anyone" Talked to a nice NYC cop(Gomez) and educated him about Pendulum!! It was about 2 hrs before doors opened and as we had seated tickets we went to have hot drinks at a Deli and people watch.

So doors opened..I guess as I have been to so many stadiums MSG was not such a surprise..but boy it is big. I think the capacity is similar to the O2/Birmingham NIA but its MSG and thats the point. Our seats were dissapointingly far back, but then again most of the floor space was seated with very little standing space..bizarre!:no: I have never been to an arena event in the UK where you have beer sellers wandering through the arena..we wouldn't be trusted with bottles.
First support on,all the way from just up the road from me in Reading, Does it Offend You Yeah? They have a great sound, well it sounded good in MSG, I liked alot.

Short wait for Pendulum,,scanned around for other fans. Not looking good. On they came opening chords of Granite, Cara and I lept up and screamed at the top of our lungs. Must have looked odd just the two of us leaping around while all around us people sat. There were a few arms down the very front, more for Master of Puppets but all in all very apathetic. Ben did his best but it was a poor reaction. Pearls before Swine thats all I can say.
Half an hour and it was over, they seemed to creep off the stage. Thats not good We left, I was hyped, shouting at the LP fans still coming in " You're too late! Its over, Pendulum have finished..you missed them!!!!":punk:

Went out to merch stall and got a Feel the Fire shirt with the US tour dates on. Two guys came over and one remarked that must be the only Pendulum shirt sold. that night! Turned out he and his mate were fans and had seen them the last time they were in the States. They were leaving like us and were also going to the Irving Plaza and Afterparty on the Saturday.

We decided not to hang around ,although had we known .the guys were staying across the road at the Hotel Pennsylvania.
Tomorrow would be a busy day!

So had a good lie in and after carefully packing pockets with ticket, money, phone, camera, passport, (usually have the luxury of a car to load/unload stuff before gigs) got to NYC around 13:00hrs. My immeadiate feeling was I wanted to get to the venue and queue but I was assured that Americans don't queue and it would be fine. so I was taken to an amazing burger place, Stand4 Burgers, another favourite of C & A. In the UK I am not a fan of burgers but this place was something else!! We had Hell Burgers, wasabi, thai chillis etc, mine served rare! and sweet potato fries yuuuum. I cannot describe how good it was:rolleyes:

After we went to a great Coffee bar called Joes, I don't like coffee "I drink tea my dear" but great vibe. After that we wandered down to the venue, it was cold and rainy and it also appeared we were the first ones there. Cara and myself "scoped" the block and found the side entrance ;) It was 15:30 doors opened 20:00!! After half an hour 4 "trolls" appeared and said " we were just in Starbucks"...and???? Words were exchanged but we weren't particually bothered its not like there was anyone else there. We could hear a sound check going on inside and then looky looky who should come down the street but Ben & Gareth. Ben did a double take when he saw me and came up and gave a great hug and said wow so amazing to see me there! That felt good. Gaz watched with a look of amusement! They went round to the side entrance and went in. Later C said that Gaz was standing outside so I went round to ask if he was doing the DJ set with Hornet, he asked our names but he had a taxi waiting to go back to the hotel(and was looking for Ben!!) but came back and had a photo with Cara.

At last it was time for the doors to open, that moment when you wonder are you going to get the place you want, has it been worth the wait?? etc etc lol We had got skip the queue tickets which was what it said on the label!! C had Ticket #1, I had #2
In we went, straight up the stairs and into the auditorium straight to the barrier centre left.:thumbup: The stage was tiny and so was the theatre. Blurb said 1200 capacity but I think that must have been the whole place not the stage we were at, I am sure there was no more that 500 in there.
People gradually came in, chatted while we waited. Had fun making shadow animals on the screen covering the front of the stage...no condoms knocking about like UK:spin:

So first act InnerPartySystem, hmmm. Kind of reminded me a South Central with drums (which were very load and tinny) Very repetitive, they had there fans there. Can't say I'd loose sleep if I never saw them again, just my opinion though.

.....feeling sick with anticipation...not long to go. Watching Perry's Hughes & Kettner stack glowing in the background, like some beast waiting to be unleashed (ooo errr that was a bit poetic)
Watching the crew under the screen setting up, Perrys Peavey, Robs ZTar, any minute now. So its 22:15 the pulse goes out....boom. We know whats happening and off we go Genesis, and on to the stage they come. Big grins all round screams and cheers. They looked so happy to be playing to a crowd who were there for them! Ben was on top form and high fived us. I won't list the set its the same as the UK (but no Encoder) but it did sound different, maybe the size of the theatre. Halfway through there was a tech hitch so Ben got the crowd to do a sonic boom from the back to the front, and then a mexican wave from left to right then back again, then on the show went.

End of Crush ,some girl (Not me or Cara!!!!!) decided to rush the stage and went up to Rob and tried to hug him. I will never forget his face...lol (Cara has it videoed) His tech quickly bundled her off!
The Americans are very tame as a crowd there is little or no hard pushing or trying to get to the barrier, a few crowd surfed but not many. A girl did tap me on the back and asked if I could stop headbanging as my hair was annoying her...I politely said that I could not acquiesce to her request (aaarf) I 'sweetly' suggested if she moved back it wouldn't annoy her:smilegrin: Sadly it was not until I felt something crunch on the back of my head(possibly her nose?)that she moved.

Anyway sadly over too soon, they went down an absolute storm so deserved. We missed out on two drumsticks that KJ threw at us but being vertically challenged had them snatched from over our heads by giants :sniffle: We got out asap and went round to the side door to wait.

So crowds dispersed, it was cold, we were the only ones waiting. And we waited, after bout an hour I went down to the front just to see whether anyone was round front, by the time I got back Rob & Ben were being photographed with Cara!!!! aaagghhhhh. Anyway Ben gave another hug and said they were off to the Afterparty, so were we! Wanted to wait and say hi to Perry and KJ but had to go!

The club was dark and hot, we got in just in time for El Hornet to start the set. Bottles of water we headed on to the dance floor, people probably think I'm a freak, I headbang when I dance so what? That was fun, getting hot and sweaty again. So an hour an half later it was over and we decided to go and get something to eat. Met Gareth and his lady by the coat check, I said we must stop meeting like this! Asked him to tell Perry that Barbara said hi. He said that he and KJ were already on the bus upto Quebec, they were staying on as they had family over.
So 3:30 in the morning in New York, feet hurting now, we go and get a Bagel and then back to Penn Station to wait for the train @5:15. Watching life!!

Got back to the house at 6ish in the morning, crashed for a few hours and then packed to go to the airport. Had breakfast on the way, pancakes and bacon with maple syrup, and then a quick visit to a Mall before being dropped at the airport. Busier flight back, picked up at 06:10 am and home to bed!

Just a totally full on 3 days. I cannot thank my amazing hosts enough. To take in a stranger (and I can be pretty strange) only after getting to know one another on the PLC is such a wonderful thing. I was looked after so well, and can only hope I can return the favour some day.

Hope you enjoy the ramble..it doesn't happen every day;)

For everything that could have been, well at least we took the ride....
Rottenspice
DnB editor

[*] posted on 13-2-2011 at 14:35

It's not far, but we got stuck in some shitty traffic... what else would you expect at 9:30pm?? Ugh.

We had such a great weekend, especially watching all the freaks in Penn Station at 4am... ha ha

I am so sad it's all over. Who knows when Pendulum will come back to NYC :(
ollie
Pendulum Webmaster

Mood: Needledrop Sound

[*] posted on 13-2-2011 at 15:16

"Pendulum - making relationships tense since 2006"

Great start looking forward to pt 2 of the review.

Martin & Rhoades audio examples - http://bit.ly/1PlWENI
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
javapalava
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 13-2-2011 at 18:18

Its here!!

javapalava
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 13-2-2011 at 18:50

Okay links to pictures on Face Book and link for Youtube Master of Puppets, complete with headbanging camera @ MSG and Does it Offend You Yeah? The Monkeys are Coming

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=59038&id=100000467665178&l=af733cbfd6..
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=59276&id=100000467665178&l=75e195a0a8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Om47GgVAs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JaeMViAQPA

Rottenspice
DnB editor

[*] posted on 13-2-2011 at 20:08

Didn't you take any video at Irving Plaza?
javapalava
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 13-2-2011 at 20:41

Quote:
Originally posted by Rottenspice
Didn't you take any video at Irving Plaza?

No I can't keep still long enough for that!

Rottenspice
DnB editor

[*] posted on 13-2-2011 at 21:24

I wish I had taken more, but I was having too much fun!
ollie
Pendulum Webmaster

Mood: Needledrop Sound

[*] posted on 13-2-2011 at 23:39

Wernt you going to do a review of each of the gigs and talk about how you evenings entailed

Martin & Rhoades audio examples - http://bit.ly/1PlWENI
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Krakatoa_Coo
Raver behaviour

[*] posted on 13-2-2011 at 23:52

"Short wait for Pendulum,,scanned around for other fans. Not looking good. On they came opening chords of Granite, Cara and I lept up and screamed at the top of our lungs. Must have looked odd just the two of us leaping around while all around us people sat. There were a few arms down the very front, more for Master of Puppets but all in all very apathetic. Ben did his best but it was a poor reaction. Pearls before Swine thats all I can say. Half an hour and it was over, they seemed to creep off the stage. Thats not good We left, I was hyped, shouting at the LP fans still coming in " You're too late! Its over, Pendulum have finished..you missed them!!!!":punk:"

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
TRUETRUETRUE. I saw them at Boston. :thumbup::thumbup:

View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
javapalava
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 14-2-2011 at 00:13

Quote:
Originally posted by ollie
Wernt you going to do a review of each of the gigs and talk about how you evenings entailed

Sorry is this to me or Rottenspice?

Rottenspice
DnB editor

[*] posted on 14-2-2011 at 14:55

Ooooh LOVED the full review. It totally brought me back, oh we had so much fun!! You forgot to mention that I got a kiss from Ben too, it wasn't just you ;) The boys were so nice to take all the pics and stuff with us, especially when they had places to be. I only wish I had gotten Kevin's drumstick, since he WAS throwing it to me. :(

We caught up with our new friends the next night at the afterparty, then they decided 3:30 was too late to get some food and left us to go home, ha ha. Amateurs ;)
Rottenspice
DnB editor

[*] posted on 14-2-2011 at 15:02

BTW setlist was the same as Wembly apart from Encoder, but we didn't get Different either.
javapalava
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 16-2-2011 at 11:58

:cool:

Ash
PLC News Editor

Mood: *Running On Relentless

[*] posted on 16-2-2011 at 20:24

jesus christ, thats the most epic trip/gig report ive ever seen. And I thought travelling from the north to London was a bit much for a Pendulum gig. Travelling to new york really takes the biscuit!

Also pleased to hear the PLC could help out in sorting accom out and helping our special US - UK relationship.

I dont think the yanks could survive the UK gigs though from what videos ive seen?! About as chaotic as a library at midnight.

javapalava
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 16-2-2011 at 23:43

Cheers Ash..tell you what, it was worth every penny! It's got me in the mood for seeing them further a field this year. Certainly Europe. Would love to go to Australia too, but flights even "cheap" ones are around £600. More than I can afford! :(

Rottenspice
DnB editor

[*] posted on 17-2-2011 at 01:23

Quote:
Originally posted by Ash
jesus christ, thats the most epic trip/gig report ive ever seen. And I thought travelling from the north to London was a bit much for a Pendulum gig. Travelling to new york really takes the biscuit!

Also pleased to hear the PLC could help out in sorting accom out and helping our special US - UK relationship.

I dont think the yanks could survive the UK gigs though from what videos ive seen?! About as chaotic as a library at midnight.

Ha ha Ash, that was pretty tame... I have to admit when I saw Prodigy it was a lot more violent. But yanno in my old age, I don't mind it being a little tamer. I still was bruised up pretty good but it was the best night ever :thumbup:

And FYI, I have been to a few gigs in the UK... :)

Go To Top