Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The Immersion Review Topic
Wim
Raver behaviour

[*] posted on 27-5-2010 at 10:19

Now I've had a good few days to absorb this album, I've definitely got some favourites emerging:

Set Me On Fire,
Witchcraft,
Watercolour,
The Island (both parts - the chord progression in pt 1 took me totally by surprise)
The Fountain
and, yes, Self versus Self.
... and, as an afterthought, The Vulture's growing on me rapidly....

That's not to say I don't like all the tracks: I do - these are just the ones I find myself gravitating towards, and wanting to hear over again as soon as they've finished. Funnily enough, the track that most of the printed reviews find the strongest - Immunize - is one of my least-favourites. For me, it's a little too close to Fat of the Land-era Prodigy. That in and of itself isn't a bad thing (along with "Jilted Generation", that's one of their best albums) but I think I'd rather it was slightly more Pendulum-y than Prodigy-y. Perhaps it's my own inability to separate Liam from the Prodigy's overall sound. Humm.

One thing I am very pleased about is that there's no attempt to replicate previous albums. After all, if I wanted to listen to HYC or IS, I'll listen to those albums. This feels like an evolution, like a coherent step forward. Again, maybe this is something I'm bringing to the record, but whatever: it works.

Sure, it's not going to be to everyone's taste, but that's true of any album. There are going to be people who don't like the influences, the sounds, the vocals, the direction... whatever. Not everyone has to like everything about every record ever released, and that's how it should be. But for me, it's made of win. They're growing as a band, as musicians, and Rob's growing as a vocalist and songwriter.

It felt like a long wait for this album, but you know what? As far as I'm concerned, it was worth every damn minute.

Did you ever imagine the last thing you'd hear as you're fading out was a song?
garymiller
Raver behaviour

[*] posted on 27-5-2010 at 10:25

Ofcourse NME are going to be negative since Rob bashed them for being idiots!
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
fortomenos
Glowstick

[*] posted on 28-5-2010 at 17:53
Pendulum - Immersion

Pendulum return with their third studio album, 'Immersion', featuring the single 'Watercolour', which heralds a glorious evolution in the Pendulum sound. Now utilising a richer sonic tapestry than ever before, the sublime 'Watercolour' finds Rob Swire's vocals alternating between eerie distortion and full-blooded energy amidst flourishes of horns and an atmospheric, tension building breakdown. The track's progressive structure highlight's Pendulum growing strength in constructing contrasting dynamics.

Discography: http://www.discoogle.com/wiki/Pendulum_Discography

:no:
Dan C
Raver behaviour

[*] posted on 31-5-2010 at 16:13

Having only heard the matter previews, salt, watercolour, and the 1 minute official samples here are thoughts and comments.

After seeing that youtube kid, I opted not to video my unboxing ;)

After seeing him play with his limited edition box Gel, I decided to play with it for at least 1 second before digging in and diving straight for the vinyl.

(And yes my player was on the wrong speed)

Was a little disappointed at the treatment of my box during transit. Got a little crushed, and the top of my vinyl cover has a slight tear.

The vinyl was beautifully presented, however I was expecting a larger version of the cd insert in the vinyl sleeve, or at the very least a larger reproduction of the book on the record sleeves. Never mind... onto the player goes side A.

Side A:
This was basically the pre-album sampler I had already heard.
Genesis, Salt in the Wounds, and Watercolour, all tracks that had been around for a while before album release.

Great intro to build up what was to come.

Set Me On Fire took me by surprise. Quite a solid track, a lull before the storm to follow and a great finisher to side A.

From here the album just builds
Side B:
The first few guitar chords of Crush burst out. This was the track I had been hanging to hear since matter, three double hits on the drums and then the track kicks in like a smack to the head with a cricket bat.
Love the chord progression, in this guitar led track, and the delicate use of synths over the top. The break with the acoustic was also a nice addition. (Someone on the forums was calling for Pendulum unplugged???) Sorta ended a little abruptly for me, but a great track.

Under the waves continues to build from where Crush left off. Love the whole construction/progression of this track, and the build to the end. The subtle guitars under the synth lead works nicely.

Just when you wonder if this side is going to get build any more Immunize kicks in.
Gritty, dirty, grindy... Up and in your face. Minimalistic in the lyrics department, screams pendulum of old. I love this track, and would love to see more tracks like this, or some more collaborations with Liam.

On to side C:
Ahh.. The Island.... Love it or Hate it... I think this track is great. It sounds great live. Was glad to finally to hear the studio version in full. A great track to ease into side C, and I was left wondering would it blend into part II like at R1BW, or would they be distinct tracks..

Blend!

Part II... different to what was done live at R1BW.
Such a contrast to the nice clean melodic sounds of part 1. Dirty, gritty synths. I loved this when I heard the R1BW performance, and the studio version is fantastic. Love "break" in the middle, and the way it builds to get back into it.

Comprachicos..... The shortest track on the album after Genesis. Great track.. reminiscent of the sounds of NIN. Short and sweet.

The Vulture builds upon Comprachicos and ends side C on a high. This track is going to go off when they eventually play it live. I was impressed with Verse's vocal debut on a pendulum track.

Side D:
Witchcraft... Wasn't sure what to expect from this track after listening to the previews, but after listening to the live version, this track has grown on me over the past week. Can't fault the studio version.

Self vs Self is going to be another one of those polarising tracks. Either you hate it or love it. I thought it was great. :badger:

I really got the impression that side D was building to some climax.

To me the last two tracks were a bit disappointing, after the way the album was building.

The Fountain just didnt quite do it for me. I think for me, it was tarnished by the official sample. I didnt really like the synth melody that much that was prominant in the sample. I think I would have liked this track to be more minimalistic. (ie without the synth melody as prominant). I'm going to try and start a fresh with this track in it's "whole" state and give myself a few more listens hoping it grows on me over time.

I know some love it, but Encoder wasn't my favourite track. The intro sounded like "Galvanize", I wasn't a fan of the lyrics or the progression of the song as a whole.

This is an album the guys can be proud of.

The album takes you on a fantastical journey as the tracks span across a broad range of musical styles and music styles.

Over all immersion is a solid album with many great tracks, and is a re-enforcement
change in direction taken during the production of In Silico.

Looking forward to many listens of this album, and maybe some VIP mixes as the are made!
pat
Junglist

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 31-5-2010 at 18:10

Lots better than In Silico, nothing on Hold Your Clour.

Let them see your black heart baby!
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
linkismyhero
Glowstick

[*] posted on 1-6-2010 at 06:56

I'll give this my perspective, in no particular track order, copied and pasted from another site I posted this on:

I got in my collector's edition of Immersion yesterday, and it's a fucking KILLER album. Fuck the haters, this is by far my favorite album by them. They're keeping some of their DnB roots while branching out into several different genres, all on one album.

Witchcraft had beautiful lyrics, as did The Fountain. They were easily two of my favorite tracks on the album.

Salt In The Wounds was what I've come to expect from an intro to a Pendulum album. Loud, heavy, fast, and something to get you moving.

Crush was just all around incredible. Loved the lyrics, loved the music, it's probably my most played track on the album so far.

Watercolour's lyrics were pretty generic pop stuff, but they got the job done, and sans lyrics, it sounded great.

The Island part 1 sounds like it could've easily been a Deadmau5 collab, and Island part 2 sounds like they said "hey Deadmau5 we're going to take your sound, and make it a bit crazier... oh you thought the first drop was good? WAIT FOR THE SECOND DROP BITCH."

Self vs. Self was surprisingly good, I wasn't expecting a lot out of it.

The Vulture will absolutely destroy any dance floor it's played on. I let a few of my friends listen to it on my system in my car, and they lost their minds. It was intense. Set Me On Fire is another good one to listen to if you've got a sub in your car.

Comprachicos is fun to drive fast to, and I love the lyric "Throw it away, cause I've got the patience to see that you drown, to watch you go down" sung alongside an awesome track.

Under the Waves was good, but not mind blowing. The lyrics were pretty meh.

After the epic that was The Tempest on In Silico, I was incredibly underwhelmed by Encoder as their final track on the album. I think they were trying to symbolize someone rising up to the surface (ending their "Immersion"), which is what I got from the splashes and waves at the end of the album. On the opposite end of that spectrum, the opening to Watercolour sounded like someone was floating above water, and then was suddenly slammed underwater where the synth started.

Anyone still pining for the HYC days can go fuck themselves. That's 5 years old now, let them evolve how they want.

I'd give Immersion a 9/10.
Verlouche
Glowstick

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 16:06

My album review for Immersion : http://jverlant.wordpress.com/2010/06/01/pendulum-immersion/
javapalava
Super Moderator

Mood: Excited!

[*] posted on 27-1-2011 at 00:48

Just thought rather than open a new topic I'd slip this one in here:

An American review of Immersion: http://streetdate.radio.com/2011/01/24/album-review-pendulum-immersion/

For everything that could have been, well at least we took the ride....
D1G1T4LPOLARIS
Glowstick

[*] posted on 25-4-2011 at 00:18

Genesis: A pretty good Intro to the album itself but not great. I don't know but the beginning oddly makes me think of a Halloween night type atmosphere but toward the end it gets pretty dark, twisted and cool. It leads into salt in wounds perfectly. 8/10

Salt In Wounds: One of my favorite tracks on the album. Listening to it will get you pumped which guarantees to be a monster live. Overall a Great Track. 10/10

Watercolour: Sounds like it doesn't fit the album at all and definitely sticks out like a sore thumb. But it is still a good song but doesn't come close to the rest of the tracks on the album.
6.9/10

Set Me On Fire: The beginning of the tracks is an extremely original lead in to a dubstep and or / drumstep song. The sampled vocals are amzing and fit perfectly in the track. The basslines and lead lines are Amazing!!! 9/10

Crush: A really catchy song which seems to mix in a sort of alternative rock style and DnB style together. Everything works in it. The lyrics are amazing and the outro is great with the acoustic guitar. 8/10

Under the Waves: An extremely great song one of the songs i listen to the most. The synth sounds like a video game from the N64 era. I love it. 9.5/10

Immunize: A great track.Pendulum and Liam from prodigy its the best i can describe it as Haha 9.8/10

The Island - Pt. I Dawn: The most catchy track on the album that will get stuck in your head for days. I showed my friends little brother he is 8 years old and he said he thought it was deadmau5 because he thought joel zimmerman was the singer of ghost n stuff. I was laughing so hard but it also proved something. This tracks sound alot like something you would hear from deadmau5. But that does not mean its bad. 9/10

The Island - Pt. II Dusk: Basically a remix of The Island-Pt.1 Dawn it has and electro feel to it and is definitely unexpected. Some dislike it but i love it. You can tell how much work was done on the synth in it and it was probably alot. 9/10

Comprachicos: Very dark sound in it almost like a Nine Inch Nail sound. But it is good the chorus is pretty catchy too. 8.7/10

The Vulture: Another track just like Salt In Wounds that will pump you up. Intro to has the same feel as Set Me On Fire like old EDM but just like Set Me On Fire it works perfectly and sound cool as F***. 10/10

Witchcraft: Very cool sounding song the beginning sounds that of a rock song from the late 90's and the jumps straight into synths,guitars,bass, and drums. The Lyrics are pretty good to and tells a dark story. 9/10

Self vs Self: I First heard In Flames back in 2006 and loved their sound but never would have imagined they would do a track with Pendulum. But the track is good i like it all though most people hate the Screamo vocals. 8/10

The Fountain: The thing that stands most out in this song is Stevens voice. It fits Perfect with the instrumental. The overall feel of the song has the cool thing going on and it is awesome. It sort of reminds me of a linkin park sound. 10/10

Encoder: The first thought when i heard this song was Owl City. It has that type a sound that is quite unexpected. But it is a great song i love it especially the outro it is perfect for the final end to the album. It also sounds like in the end someone is coming from the water onto a shore which is pretty cool and definitely original. 9/10

-Marcel Morin (D1G1T4LPOLARIS)
celldwellerwannabe
DnB editor

Mood: Staring upwards at the gleaming stars in the obsidian sky

[*] posted on 25-4-2011 at 09:54

After a year (give or take a bit) here is my second review of Immersion. (If you can't find my first i probably deleted it)

Genesis - I must say, however crap i used to think of it before, Genesis is just... mindblowing as an intro. Still sounds like Star Wars backing music. In a good way. 6/10 (If you think my ratings are harsh, then its a direct comparison with me)

Salt In The Wounds - I heard this at Matter, thought it was epic. Heard the official song given to Zane Lowe, still thought it was epic. Unlocked the full 7:00 version from the 360 degree video... was less than impressed. Yes it's fucking amazing, but it repeats way to much. Good live though. And i don't like the link in from Genesis. This is where i compare it to Celldweller. He released two versions of "Switchback", one that could be played as a stand alone track and one that linked from "Cell 1". As Pendulum have done the same this is epic, i just wish they'd done it with a shorter song 6/10

Watercolour - should totally have been the last track on the album, it doesn't fit in at the start. Other than that, no faults. 9/10

Set Me On Fire - As you may already know, I love dubstep. So when i heard that Pendulum were doing Dubstep, i was ecstatic. I heard the Mistajam version, and my God was it good... There were little drops in the final section that just rounded off the track as a great tune... but they were missing from the full track, and that, for me, killed the ending 7/10

Crush - What can i say. VERY good track, gives you a buzz when you play it live (I said you, not they, as in when i play it in my band it gives me such a buzz), loving the acoustic outro... but you know the single mix? where it comes back into the chorus at the very end? The original could have done that then gone back out to the little acoustic solo at the end. thats my only flaw, and i wouldn't have thought it if they hadn't of made suc a great radio edit 9/10

Under The Waves - Now, i think all the tracks on this album are really good, but i haven't listened to this much recently. So i stuck this on my Headphones. I blew my mind. The synth riff, especially over the Dub beat at the end is immense, the vocals fit in perfectly, the song as a whole is great. 8/10

Immunize - Doesn't Liam Howlett, they could each individually have come up with this track and they don't need each other. Ok, rant over. Good tune over all, the vocals pull it down though. the riff is great. 7/10

The island - I'm doing it as one song. The first part is amazing the vocals soar above the drums in the verse, and the chords bring it back to... the riff. Quite probably the best riff i've ever heard. And that's enough for this to easily get a 9/10. but the second part... If it was released as a remix (The Island (Dusk remix)) I would have been happier. i t jsut doesn't fit on the album. 7/10

Comprachicos - Great tune, but the vocals don't fit with it. The instrumental rocks. 8/10

The vulture - the Verse's studio debut is amazing, with great riffage on both guitars and synths. Verse should do some more for the next album, wether singing or writing (Cos he helped write UTW as well) 8/10

Witchcraft - Some people slag it off for being too poppy. This is not the case. the soaring synths, the heavy guitars, the need for a slot in Rock Band... It just rocks. But it ain't as good as Crush 9/10

Self Vs Self - Now recently ive gone off metal, but this still does it for me. Rob's vocoded vocals still work (Don't say they arent vocoded cos they sound it to me!) perfectly with Anders' and the riffage is just great it still only gets 7/10 though

The Fountain - listened to it for the first time in ages 2 mins ago. It isn't impressingme like it used to. Sorry... I dont konw what it is about it, whether its the hints of a piano in the background or the vocals not being Robs, or the main synth being extremely simple... I dont know 6/10

Encoder - Still amazing after all this time, but it can't rival the tempest. The first bit sounds like the lion king, the second bit like an apocalypse 8/10

the album as a whole? 8/10 Songs like SITW and The Fountain pull it down. I'd probably only give a higher mark to No More Idols, but only cos of it's consistency of good track after good track

javapalava
Super Moderator

Mood: Excited!

[*] posted on 25-4-2011 at 16:37

I commend you for taking the trouble to re review Immersion but comparing it with No More Idols ???

For everything that could have been, well at least we took the ride....
celldwellerwannabe
DnB editor

Mood: Staring upwards at the gleaming stars in the obsidian sky

[*] posted on 25-4-2011 at 17:01

^ I loved No More Idols, just cos everyone else thinks that "Going mainstream" is equal to "Going shitty" doesn't mean I do. NMI is much better than MTA

Pendulum France
Raver behaviour

Mood: Waiting for that important news !

[*] posted on 8-11-2011 at 12:11

All the songs are good (except maybe The Fountain that I do not like) but do not go together

http://pendulumfrance.com

In through the maze through your reflection,
We enter from a terminal connection !
 Pages:  1  2

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'Cscript' (T_STRING), expecting ',' or ';' in /homepages/0/d429656469/htdocs/pendulumlive/pendulumlive/files/viewthread.php(663) : eval()'d code on line 63